You are your child’s most important coach! Driving to practices, cheering at games, helping with homework and attending recitals; their success starts with a healthy lifestyle, and that starts with you. So set a good example for eating, sleeping and exercising, and your team will follow. And if any health issues arise, help them get back in the game when they are not feeling well.
At Hackensack University Health Network, we are committed to providing our community with a range of resources to keep you on track including this GAMEPLAN for Kids’ Health - 10 simple steps to help you take charge of your kids’ health.
1. Be the Center of Your Child’s Nutrition: Kick the trans fats, punt the calories, tackle the food allergies, and remove challengers to your family’s diet. Your kid’s health starts with you. If needed, call in a specialist to help your defense. Score a goal for better nutrition!
2. Play Clean: Make sure your child understands the importance of clean hands, especially before eating and after using the bathroom or playing with the family pet.
3. Protect Your Equipment: Stay in the shade during breaks and wear protective clothing and sunscreen during the game.
4. Play as a Team: Eat a healthy and balanced dinner as a family.
5. The Best Offense is a Good Defense:
Make sure your child’s immunizations are up-to-date before school starts and schedule your child for regular checkups with their pediatrician. Don’t have a doctor? Click here to find one.
6. Hit the Showers: Make sure your child uses clean equipment, showers after sports, and doesn’t share items such as towels or water bottles.
7. Heads Up: Wear helmets with bicycles, scooters, skateboards, and any other sport that requires helmets for participation.
8. Fuel for Performance: Drink plenty of water before, during and after the game.
9. Get in the Game: Limit TV, cellphone and computer time. The best way to stay healthy is to get outside and play!
10. Put your GAMEPLAN in Action:
HackensackUMC Fitness & Wellness Powered by the Giants can help you put your GAMEPLAN into action. Check out www.Giants.com/fitness
to start getting fit and well!
Download your GAMEPLAN for Kid's Health
Check out our chidren's health services at: