Each family has it’s own dynamic, and you’re at the helm. Whether it’s driving to three different sports events in one day, or rushing to make dinner after a late conference call, you have to perform on many different levels. Staying healthy amid the chaos can be a challenge. Use this game plan to ensure your peak performance as a parent, no matter what your role is.
1. Take a time out: With your needs often coming last during the daily grind, it’s important to take some time for yourself. Some options are meditation, breathing techniques, or even sitting in a quiet room for a few minutes.
2. Know the fundamentals: The multi-tasking parent has many demands placed on them, and these demands sometimes manifest with illness, or even mentally with anxiety or depression. Know your stress level and how it affects those around you.
3. Know your team history: Stress, quick-fix menus, and overwhelming tasks can all diminish your wellness, especially if you have a family history of heart disease, vascular problems, and even mental health issues.
4. Fuel for Performance: Three healthy meals per day, along with healthy sustaining snack will keep your energy high throughout the day. Fresh veggies, fruit, whole grains and lean protein are your best options during mealtime.
5. Take care of your teammates: Optimal health for a parent on the go will help you maximize your time and get things done.
6. Keep your equipment in good order: A clean house. A well-serviced car. A fully stocked kitchen. These are the benchmarks of a well-oiled parenting machine.
7. Good offense is a good defense: Time management. Scheduling. Organization. These are the tools that can help you to get through your busy day and avoid disastrous time conflicts that lead to missing meetings and the 3 o’clock pick up from school.
8. Prepare a training regimen: 30-45 minutes of physical activity can help boost your immune system and can help alleviate built-up tension from your busy week. Make a fitness commitment to yourself.
9. Talk to your coach:
Whether it’s a medical professional, fitness trainer, or nutritionist seek out their expertise and make sure you are maximizing your Warrior potential. Take the first step today by calling 855-996-WELL (9355) or clicking here
to learn more about our world-class physicians at HackensackUMC.