Summertime holds the promise of carefree days in the sun, and playing outdoors until bedtime. But whether your kids are young or in their teens, there are ways to keep them safe and healthy while they have fun and create summer memories.
1. Know the Stats: Most childhood injuries are preventable, but be aware that they are the leading cause of death in children 19 and younger. Each year in the United States, emergency departments treat more than 200,000 children aged 14 and younger for playground related injuries.
2. Know the fundamentals: Hot weather provides opportunities for kids to enjoy the outdoors. Take steps to keep them safe and healthy, both indoors and outdoors.
3. Watch the game tape: Along with keeping hydrated and cool, make sure your kids seek shade in the hot sun, cover up when possible, wear sunglasses, and apply sunscreen before going outdoors.
4. Know Your Opponent: Indoor safety is just as important to child safety during the long days of summer. Take the steps needed to prevent injuries in the home by teaching them about fire prevention, microwave use, and living with pets.
5. Take care of your teammates: Always supervise children in or around water. And, spend quality time with your kids by teaching them to swim.
6. Keep your equipment in good order: Keep your kids safe in the sun by using the proper sunscreen, using effective insect repellents, making your backyard a tick-free zone, making sure that playground equipment is safe, soft, and well maintained.
7. Good offense is a good defense: Never leave children or pets alone in a car. Even on the cooler days of summer, temperatures in a car can rise to life threatening levels within minutes.
8. Prepare a training regimen: Supervise your children at all time around fall hazards such as stairs, and use stair gates, which can prevent a dangerous tumble.
9. Talk to your coach:
Whether it’s a medical professional, fitness trainer, or nutritionist seek out their expertise and make sure you are maximizing your Warrior potential. Take the first step today by calling 855-996-WELL (9355) or clicking here
to learn more about our world-class physicians at HackensackUMC.