If you’re like most weekend warriors you have that unmistakable competitive fire in your belly but you can’t quit your day job. If Flag football, slow pitch softball, or even 5am boot camps find their way into your hectic schedule we have a game plan for you. It’s all about balance and keeping yourself ready for the quick change from business casual to gym shorts.
So whether it’s a last minute late-night meeting or kick-off, check out these tips to make you the MVP on the field and in the conference room.
1. Take a time out: Sounds like a lot but 7-10 hours of sleep a night is ideal. Sound sleep encourages immune health, muscle recovery, and keeps you feeling refreshed for the long days.
2. Fuel for performance: Living the life of a weekend warrior means keep your engine running on high-octane nutrition. Lean protein, fruits, veggies, and whole grains are all invited to the pre and post game feast. Stay away from excess sugars, fats, and the usual diet culprits.
3. Take frequent water breaks: Lower stress, increase metabolism, and skyrocket your energy level, all of this and more just by drinking water? Yes, active men should drink about 13 cups a day while women about 9 cups day. Don’t think just drink.
4. Stretch out: Before and after your workout, event, or game, stretching will help keep you injury-free. Stretching also increases mobility, circulation, and energy levels so you can dominate the game. To combat office stiffness mix in a quick stretch.
5. Plan a Fitness regimen: If you’re moving like a tri-athlete on the weekend make sure you’re active during the week. If you sit at a desk, take frequent breaks from sitting, walk around, and stretch as needed.
6. Be aggressive within reason: Performing with gusto is what it’s all about. Passion and competition keep you feeling young and energized. Don’t go overboard! Doing more than our capabilities allow can take us out of the game completely by becoming injured. Stay within yourself.
7. Make sure your equipment is in good condition: Fitness and fashion are simpatico and style is paramount on the playing field. With hundreds of sneaker and apparel choices, make sure you’ve made the appropriate choice for your sport. Football turfs are great for football, not a half marathon. Make sure you know what the differences are and dress for success.
8. Be consistent: Make a fitness, nutrition, and stretching plan and stick to it. The more consistent you make your GamePlan the more it will become a way of life rather then a passing fad.
9. Talk to your coach:
Whether it’s a medical professional, fitness trainer, or nutritionist seek out their expertise and make sure you are maximizing your Warrior potential. Take the first step today by calling 855-996-WELL (9355) or clicking here
to learn more about our world-class physicians at HackensackUMC.
10. Put your GAMEPLAN in Action:
HackensackUMC Fitness & Wellness Powered by the Giants can help you put your GAMEPLAN into action. Check out www.Giants.com/fitness
to start getting fit and well!
Check out our other GAMEPLANs for: