On October 16, 2010, Eric J. LeGrand, a college football defensive tackle for Rutgers, suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a game against Army at MetLife Stadium. He was taken to the intensive care unit of Hackensack Meridian Health Hackensack University Medical Center, where doctors determined that LeGrand fractured his C3 and C4 cervical vertebrae and was paralyzed from the neck down.
Eric, who has since regained movement in his shoulders and sensation throughout his body, has become an inspiration and a spokesperson for individuals who have suffered a spinal cord injury. Eric will visit Hackensack University Medical Center where he will be reunited with team members who cared for him in the days after his life-altering injury.
Monday, October 8
Hackensack University Medical Center
Medical Plaza, Palm Court
20 Prospect Avenue
Team members scheduled to meet with Eric include:
- Robert C. Garrett, co-CEO, Hackensack Meridian Health
- Ihor S. Sawczuk, M.D., FACS, regional president, northern market, Hackensack Meridian Health
- Mark D. Sparta, FACHE, president, Hackensack University Medical Center and executive vice president, Population Health Clinical Operations, Hackensack Meridian Health
- Lisa Tank, M.D., vice president, chief medical officer, Hackensack University Medical Center
- Saraswati Dayal, M.D., director, Surgical Intermediate Care Unit, Division of Trauma/Surgical Critical Care and Injury Prevention
- Sanjeev Kaul, M.D., director, Division of Trauma/Surgical Critical Care and Injury Prevention
- Roy Vingan, M.D., vice chair, Department of Neurosurgery
- Michael Wilderman, M.D., chief, Endovascular Surgery
- Samit Desai, M.D., attending physician, Department of Internal Medicine
Additional team members who cared for Eric and are scheduled to attend include nurses, APNs, physical therapists, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists and dietitians.
In 2012, Eric received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance at the 20th annual Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award (ESPY). The Jimmy V Award recognized Eric for overcoming great obstacles through physical perseverance and determination.
For security purposes and planning, members of the media interested in covering this event are asked to contact Nancy Radwin, senior director of Public Relations and Communications for Hackensack Meridian Health in advance at 551-996-3966 (office), 201-213-6748 (cell) or firstname.lastname@example.org.