Anesthesiology Program Overview
- The PGY-1, Fundamental Clinical Skills in Medical Education year (Clinical Base Year) is in Internal Medicine at Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC).
- Rotations during the PGY – 1 include nine months of Internal Medicine, two months of Critical Care and one month of Emergency Medicine. All rotations are at Hackensack University Medical Center.
- On-Call in the PGY -1 consists of a long call/short call system with night float coverage. Residents will be assigned two, 2-week blocks as night float.
- Each rotation has level specific competency based goals, objectives, and performance evaluations. Clinical Anesthesia year one (CA-1) begins with two, 2-week blocks of orientation with residents assigned to a designated subset of faculty members. Didactics and simulation during orientation include a comprehensive topic list to provide residents with a strong foundation for upcoming rotations.
- CA – 1: One-to-one orientation, general Operating Room, Neurosurgical Anesthesia, Regional Anesthesia, Pre-Anesthesia Evaluation (PAE), Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Non-Operating Room Anesthesia (NORA), and Critical Care.
- CA–2: Vascular/Trauma Anesthesiology, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Acute and Chronic Pain Management, Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology, Regional Anesthesiology, Critical Care, and General Operating Room with junior resident supervision.
- CA–3: Vascular/Trauma Anesthesiology, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Pediatric Anesthesiology, Acute and Chronic Pain Management, Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology, Regional Anesthesiology, PAE, PACU, NORA, General Operating Room with junior resident supervision and a Practice Management Rotation.
- CA-3 Electives: Three months available for advanced clinical skills in subspecialty rotations, or participation in research and scholarly activity.
Applicants interested in the Anesthesiology Residency Program at Hackensack University Medical Center may apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Essential information to include with the application includes:
• Common application form
• Curriculum vitae
• USMLE or COMLEX transcript
• Medical school transcript
• Personal statement
• Medical Dean’s letter
• Three (3) letters of recommendation
• ECFMG Status Report, if applicable
For inquiries, please contact: