The Neuroscience Institute at Hackensack University Medical Center is a national and international leader in the research and treatment of neurological disorders. Our achievements include:
- Hackensack University Medical Center is certified by The Joint Commission as a Comprehensive Stroke Center and also received The Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications for our spine care, Parkinson’s disease and brain tumor
- The MS Center is recognized by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for its comprehensive interprofessional approach. It is the only center in New Jersey to feature experts in neuro-urology, neuro-ophthalmology, spinal cord medicine, rehabilitation, counseling & neuropsychology, cognitive rehabilitation and geriatrics all under one roof.
- The Hereditary Neuropathy Center is recognized by the Hereditary Neuropathy Foundation.
- Hackensack University Medical Center is the first hospital in New Jersey to offer Mazor Robotics Renaissance® spine surgery.
- Patrick Roth, M.D., has developed an innovative nonsurgical approach to treat back pain that emphasizes core strengthening and embodied cognition (the mind-body connection).
- Hackensack University Medical Center is one of several medical centers in the U.S. that is participating in the RESTORE-1 Phase 2 Clinical Study, an investigational gene therapy trial for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Florian Thomas, M.D., Ph.D., chair of the Neuroscience Institute and the Department of Neurology at Hackensack University Medical Center, is the lead investigator for Phase II and Phase III international clinical trials that seek to establish medications to treat Charcot-Marie-Tooth hereditary neuropathies.
- The ALS Center at Hackensack University Medical Center opened in July 2020.
- The Hackensack University Medical Center for Memory Loss and Brain Health Center opened in January 2020.
Florian Thomas, M.D., Ph.D., Chair of the Neuroscience Institute and the Department of Neurology, and Patrick Roth, M.D., Chair of the Department of Neurosurgery, have assembled teams of experts who take a comprehensive approach not only to treat the specific features of a patient’s disease, but to get to know our patients well so we can help them achieve the best quality of life possible. Our goal is to help them live life to the fullest degree despite their illness.