How do I follow-up with my insurance company?
Most insurance company ID cards have a customer service phone number on the back. Before you call, have available your insurance card, date of service, facility name, original billed amount, patient name and claim number if applicable. Write down the name of the person you talked to at the insurance company. If the bill has not been paid, find out when the anticipated payment date is, and ask what is needed. If the bill is not paid in the stated timeframe, follow-up with the insurance company again and, if necessary, request to speak to a supervisor. Other key questions you should ask the insurance company customer service representative include the following:
- Have you received the hospital’s bill for these services?
- Am I covered for these services?
- When will you pay the hospital for these services?
- What portion of this bill will I be responsible for paying?
- What is the status of the account? If paid, ask when and to whom.