Breast Cancer Survivorship Services
Thanks to advances in screening and treatment, people diagnosed with breast cancer are living longer today than ever before. At Hackensack University Medical Center, we offer services for survivors of breast cancer which promote your physical and emotional health as you return to a life after cancer treatment.
Your Survivorship Plan
When you complete your treatment, we’ll summarize all of the care you received as well as our recommendations for your future health care in a Life-Long Health and Well Being Care Plan. It is personalized to your health needs and helps you and your primary care providers understand what you will need in terms of health care over the long term. This document contains detailed information such as your:
- Breast cancer diagnosis (date of diagnosis, stage, and biological type)
- Providers on your care team
- Breast surgery history and tumor receptor status
- Genetic counseling/testing results, if applicable
- Treatments you received (chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy)
- Summary of late side effects that you may experience
- Recommendations for follow-up care, including periodic visits to your providers and recommended screenings
The Nutrition Services team at John Theurer Cancer Center is dedicated to providing you with guidance on how to follow a nutritious diet as you begin life after breast cancer treatment. Services include:
• One-on-one counseling
• Group classes in our Cooking Studio focused on healthy eating. The Cooking Studio is a special place where you can attend educational presentations and cooking classes and hear from special guests on a variety of nutrition topics pertinent to patients with cancer and their caregivers.
• Nutrition month awareness presentations
• Education about the use of dietary supplements, such as antioxidants and herbal/natural products