What is geriatric medicine?
As you get older, your physical, emotional and social needs change. Staying healthy can be more challenging, and a lifetime of habits may need to be adjusted as your body ages. Additionally, older adults often need specialized care to properly manage illnesses or emergencies. Geriatric medicine is a subspecialty of internal or family medicine that deals with the specialized needs of older adults and emphasizes prevention, wellness, quality of life, coordination of care and maintaining function.
Geriatric specialists receive extensive training in the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of older adults and are board certified to manage and provide preventive care for all conditions associated with aging.
Geriatric specialists provide services for older adults, including medication management, chronic disease management and coordination of care.
Award Winning Care
The Division of Geriatrics has been nationally and regionally recognized for providing quality, patient-centered geriatric care. Our awards and acknowledgements include:
- PCMH Level 3 certified center. The Division of Geriatrics received and has maintained the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) Level 3 certified center designation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance since 2011.
- S. News & World Report Top 50. U.S. News & World Report has named Hackensack’s geriatric program to its top 50 list for eight years. Our program continued to be a high performer for geriatrics in 2015.
- 2016 Clinician of the Year award. Vice President for Medical Affairs, Lisa Tank, M.D., FACP, CMD, received the 2016 Clinician of the Year award from the American Geriatrics Society (AGS).
- The Joint Commission Disease-Specific Care certification. Hackensack is the first facility in the nation to earn The Joint Commission’s Disease-Specific Care certification in geriatrics delirium in 2011. We have been recertified and active to date.
- NICHE designation. Our program has achieved the Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders (NICHE) designation for its commitment to creating an elder-friendly patient environment through specialized, sensitive nursing care.
- New Jersey Monthly “Jersey Choice Top Doctors” recognition. Tank has been named to New Jersey Monthly’s Jersey Choice Top Doctors list for seven consecutive years. Dr. Manisha Parulekar and Dr. Arunima Sarkar have been named to the list for three consecutive years.
- Castle Connolly “Top Doctors” recognition. Tank has been named to the Castle Connolly New York Metro Area Top Doctors list for geriatric medicine for five consecutive years. Dr. Sarkar and Dr. Parulekar have each been named to the list for three consecutive years.
- YWCA TWIN award. Tank received a YWCA Tribute to Women and Industry (TWIN) award in 2014.
- Clinical Quality Fellowship Program. Tank was part of the 2015-2016 class of the Greater New York Hospital Association/United Hospital Fund (GNYHA/UHF) Clinical Quality Fellowship Program (CQFP).