Medical Weight Loss Program
Losing weight successfully can be a slow process, requiring patience and long-term commitment. It is often challenging to do alone. Let us help you.
The Bariatric Center of Hackensack University Medical Center provides weight loss services for individuals who are seeking resources to help them achieve their weight loss goals. Our team of weight loss professionals—led by physicians board certified in obesity medicine—customizes a plan of care for you that may include FDA-approved medications in combination with nutrition, exercise, and behavioral changes to help you not only achieve, but maintain a healthy weight.
What You Can Expect
Our program is one of the longest-standing programs in our region, and many of our patients have achieved excellent results. Patients who have not previously achieved their goals through other methods often find success with our structured program.
- Each patient undergoes a comprehensive individualized evaluation including blood work, review of medical history, and a full physical examination.
- We review the medications you are already taking to determine if any of them can cause weight gain. If so, we can recommend other options to your primary doctor that may not cause you to put on weight.
- Discussion of your dietary habits and how certain foods affect your health.
- We may prescribe weight loss medications in order to influence your appetite.
- Monthly appointments allow us to closely monitor your progress and provide the necessary support to help you succeed.
Weight Loss Medications
Prescription weight loss medications work in different ways. They can lessen your hunger, make you feel full sooner, or make it harder for your body to absorb fat from the foods you eat. These medications are typically taken for a few months to a year, depending on your needs. Based on the results of your assessment, we will determine if weight loss medications are right for you.
Nutrition and Exercise
The key to sustained weight loss is to make changes in your life that you can maintain long after you stop taking a weight loss medication. During each visit with us, we will discuss your dietary habits. Each month, we suggest small achievable behavioral changes while we also educate you about how certain habits affect your metabolism and your weight. Nutrition is an important part of long-term success, and we understand that making minor adjustments will lead to big wins later.
Our team also collaborates with the staff at HackensackUMC Fitness & Wellness Center to help you learn how to incorporate healthy eating and physical activity into your life. This center provides private and semi-private sessions to maximize your weight loss and create a road map for diet and exercise to help you get results. Learn more about HackensackUMC Fitness & Wellness.