Robotic Ear Nose and Throat Surgery
How We Use the Single-Port Robotic System for ENT Surgery
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the use of the da Vinci SP system in March 2019 to remove tissue in the throat and base of the tongue. Our surgeons used it not long thereafter to perform the first single-port robotic ENT surgery, and our experience continues to mount. We now offer single-port robotic surgery for adults to remove:
- Tongue cancers
- Throat (oropharynx and pharynx) cancers
- Larynx cancer
- Enlarged tonsils
- Any tissue causing sleep apnea
- Benign tumors of the tongue, throat, and larynx
Avoid Other Cancer Treatments
Radiation and chemotherapy are mainstays of treatment for head and neck cancer. If we detect your cancer early and can remove it using robotic-assisted surgery, we may be able to reduce or eliminate your need for radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy, decreasing your risk of these side effects:
- Nerve damage from chemotherapy
- Dry mouth
- Speech and swallowing difficulties
- Diminished taste
- Neck pain
- The need for a feeding tube (currently required by 90 percent of patients during radiation therapy/chemotherapy and permanently in 5 percent of them)
If you already had radiation therapy and your cancer came back, we’ll let you know if we can use robotic surgery to remove it.
Are You a Candidate for Transoral Robotic Surgery?
Whenever possible, we incorporate robotic technology into your overall ENT treatment plan. Make an appointment with one of our ENT surgeons for a consultation to find out if robotic surgery is an option for you.
Call us today at 551-996-5855.