U.S. News & World Report Ranked 6 Years in a Row As
The #1 Urology Department in New Jersey
Whether you are a patient, a parent or referring physician, you will find a wealth of useful information on our website. We are proud of what the Department of Urology at Hackensack University Medical Center has to offer, and we are pleased to share it with you. If you have questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Welcome to the department of Urology at Hackensack University Medical Center.
Message from the Chair
Our department is made up of 40 urologists, many with advanced fellowship training in a range of urologic disciplines including urologic oncology, infertility, stone disease, sexual dysfunction, female urology and pediatric urology. Each day we collaborate with physicians throughout our world class medical center and partner with Magnet® recognized nurses to provide patients with the most advanced and compassionate care.
Our urology team pioneered the use of robotic-assisted surgery to treat prostate cancer over a decade ago. We have continued to pioneer advanced robotic partial nephrectomy techniques to treat kidney cancer and robotic reconstruction procedures to build new bladders and rebuild ureters. We have the latest robotic technology and 5 dedicated systems replacing the need for traditional open surgical procedures in more than 90 percent of our patients. Surgeons throughout the world visit us to learn the latest robotic surgical advances and procedures developed by our urologic team.
With over 500 scholarly articles published in the last 10 years and more groundbreaking research on the way. Here are some of our academic highlights within the last year:
Awards & Recognition
- Nationally Ranked by US News & World Report 2017-2018. Only program in New Jersey to be recognized nationally, Top 4 in New York Metro area
- Presented > 20 original abstracts/videos at 5 national society meetings – AUA, WCE, SHM, SUFU, and NYSAUA. Published over a dozen original studies in peer reviewed journals in a variety of subspecialties.
- Granted first ever ACGME approved Urology Residency Program at Hackensack Meridian Health.
Research & Advancements
We are committed to and passionate about research
- Launched/renewed 11 institutional review board approved research protocols ranging from UTI resistance in women to the role of MRI guided biopsies to detect prostate cancer. We have partnered with COTA to better understand our prostate cancer algorithms and created a multi-institutional kidney cancer data base to further define outcomes when employing robotic kidney sparing surgical techniques.
- Completed first round of Faculty Appointments at Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University including 4 Professors, 3 Associate Professors and 8 Assistant Professors
At Hackensack University Medical Center, we combine leadership in cutting-edge clinical care with excellence in research. We are renowned pioneers in minimally invasive and robotic surgery. Urologists from around the world come to HackensackUMC to benefit from our expertise.Residents Perfecting Skills
If you are a resident looking to take the next step in your career, a urology fellowship at Hackensack University Medical Center will provide you with world-class training, significant research opportunities and diverse clinical experiences that can only be offered by a high-volume department at a renowned research hospital.Take the next step
Research & Education
We are renowned pioneers in minimally invasive and robotic surgery. Urologists from around the world come to Hackensack in order to benefit from our expertise. Members of our faculty participate routinely in national and international conferences and workshops, showcasing the latest in urologic surgery techniques.Creating lifelong education
The urologists who are part of Hackensack Meridian Medical Group, a subgroup within the Department of Urology at Hackensack University Medical Center, are the backbone of academics, research and education for the Department of Urology.
The urologists at Hackensack University Medical Center understand that women have unique needs when it comes to urological care. Whether you are suffering from incontinence, prolapse, a urinary tract infection or another urological condition, our board-certified urologists—two of whom are women—deliver expert and compassionate care.